Wednesday, November 19, 2008

First real CHRISTMAS


We all decorated the house for Christmas today. We know it's early, but we didn't have any other time as a family to do it. Brian's only day off is Sunday's and we have something going on every Sunday until Christmas. This is the first year of my life I have ever had it up before Thanksgiving. I'm a pretty big stickler about having it up after Thanksgiving but you have to do what's best for your family. We are starting to make traditions since the boys are getting older. Brian started me a snow village last year and we all went and picked out my new pieces for this year. Everyone had a say in it and I do have to admit I love it. I got a Christmas tree lot and daycare. I thought the daycare was fitting since that feels like what I run:) Then we all headed back home to put up the tree and talk about what we were doing and why.

This is the first Christmas that Kaleb is starting to understand the true meaning of Christmas. I'm having so much fun telling him about Jesus. We talk about who he is and what he did for us. I can see a big difference in him since school started back and we are going to church. Now granted, if it's raining and he is ready for it to quit, he wants to fly up to God and tell him to make it stop or he's going to hit him. Then we have the no hitting talk and that God does everything for a reason. Kaleb just says yeah, yeah, Mom and rolls his eyes. But I really think he is starting to understand and truly believe in God.
I remember when I lived at home and my Mother would always sit in the chair and hand out ornaments to my sister and I. She would speak about the ornaments regarding how she got it and why it meant so much to her. We always made fun of her and said she was lazy and didn't want to decorate the tree. Mom, I truly understand now and I'm sorry.

When I take my Christmas tree down I wrap each ornament in tissue paper so they won't get broken. When I opened them up this Christmas I realized each ornament is it's own gift with it's own story. I do have to admit I cried. Since the kids were born Brian and I had been decorating the tree by ourselves. Due to the fact that all ornaments had to be at the top so little hands couldn't reach. You all know how that goes. But this year was different. Kaleb wanted to hear the stories and was so excited about each ornament. He wanted each one to be in a special place on the tree. Austin's another story. He found a trumpet and harp and pretended to be in a band. Next year they will both be on the same page. They are growing up so fast!
If anyone has any traditions you would like to suggest please let me know. I would love to steal your ideas..........

2 comments:

Shawn Amore said...

Love the matching pj's. Next year we will have to get mom to get the boys all the same pj's. They will be so cute. Pretty tree, I am going to put ours up in a few weeks. I am sure Evan will be all in the tree this year. I will most likey not have very much at the bottom. Evan will try and eat them:)

kristen said...

Great post! I think that Chase will be all into decorating our tree this year. I can't wait. I've been anxious to get ours up too, since I know that the whole 'decorating the house' thing will be a slow process, but Phil doesn't want to do that, so I'll have to wait. :(