Monday, November 10, 2008

Can't breathe

While Kaleb was taking swimming lessons, he was having a hard time breathing and keeping up with the class. He would swim for five minutes and he would be gasping for air. He has been congested for awhile so I always told them it was allergies and it would clear up soon. It's been about a month and Brian and his mother said they heard Kaleb wheezing. I couldn't hear it but I'm around them all the time so everything sounds normal to me. Not wanting to take the chance I was missing something, I took him to the doctor.

I started calling at 7:45 and little did I know I would have an appointment at 8:15! I jumped up, got the kids and I dressed, then out the door we went. I was out of the house in 5 minutes. I have no idea how it happened but I really don't think I could do it again. Once at the doctor, she listened to his breathing and everything sounded fine. She knew he wasn't wheezing at this point but was concerned he might have asthma. Since the office wasn't busy she had him run around the hall to get his heart rate up and see if he would start coughing. Of coarse he didn't but had a hard time catching his breathe. She decided to give him a breathing treatment to open up more passages in his chest so she could hear if congestion was in it or if he did have asthma. Luckily she heard congestion. She decided he has bronchitis and gave us an antibiotic. Once the congestion clears up I'm suppose to watch his breathing just to make sure he's okay. He's only 4 and shouldn't be having this hard of a time catching his breathe. Then he got a flu shot and I thought he was going to die! He cried and couldn't walk for 10 minutes. I decided to go to Chick-fil-a as a treat since we missed breakfast and miraculously once he got on the playground it was all better. Funny how that happens! I was able to get them out of Chick-fil-a without anyone throwing a fit by telling them we were going somewhere else fun. I wouldn't tell them where until they got into the truck and were buckled up. Then we headed to Toys R Us.

Who doesn't love Toys R Us? It's hours of entertainment for the kids and I don't have to spend a penny! We looked at all the toys and talked about which ones we wanted from Santa. We stayed in the back mostly and checked out all the riding toys. The boys don't need another one but they
do like to pretend their driving them. After all that excitement we headed home for a NAP and a relaxing day with Dad:)

1 comment:

kristen said...

That is scary stuff! Glad that he is better now!

I need to take Chase in too. I also think that it is just allergies, but it has been 3 weeks now, so he probably needs some medical intervention....I just hate to put him on antibiotics, again. We just finished a round a month ago. Ugh!