Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Pay it Forward

I took the boys to school today then headed to Wal-Mart. All of the buggy's were dripping wet because of the three inches of rain we got yesterday! I got my wet buggy out and was trying to dry it off a little and this lady who just checked out walked over to me. I looked up and she asked if I wanted her dry cart. I gave her the deer in headlights look and said that would be great! She picked up her bags very cheerfully then said Merry Christmas and walked away. I said thanks! Why would I say thanks? I didn't say Merry Christmas, kiss my butt, bah humbug, nothing! Just thanks. I had so many opportunities to say how grateful I was to this lady(it's only a cart) but I just stood there and said thanks. I felt terrible the entire time I was in Wal-mart. I know I'm really looking into this but I feel like God was really working here and I didn't take advantage of it. It's all those Happy Holiday e-mails that are going around that have got me messed up in the head. I finished shopping then was headed to the door with my dry buggy and all my bags which included a gallon of milk. There was this older lady using her tissue she pulled out of her purse to dry her dripping wet buggy. I walked right over to her staring at my bags wondering what I was doing and told her she could have my dry buggy. What? I had so many bags how in the world was I going to carry them out. I cheerfully gathered them all up and looked the women in the eyes and told her Merry Christmas. She gave me the deer in headlights look and went on her way as I waddled out with bags up to my armpits. I didn't care. I had the privilege of telling that lady Merry Christmas! I hope she payed it forward.

2 comments:

kristen said...

That is a really good story! Sometimes I think that I am so caught off guard by others' generosity that I don't know what to say/do in return. But you payed it forward, and that's what counts! :)

The Travis's said...

Since I've been a stay at home Mom I feel like I have lost all my adult social skills. Crazy how that happens!