Thursday, April 9, 2009

I swear Kaleb was there.

Today was the big day. We were at Baptist surgery center at 7:45 all packed and ready to go. We had plenty of coloring books, DVDs, puzzles, and everything else you can imagine. Brian filled out all the paperwork(I write too slow) while we visited with Aunt Shawn and baby Oven. They had to be there at 7:15 so they were right in front of us. Here's Austin in the waiting room doing his puzzle.

They were such big boys! Once they were called back, the nurses took their weight and height then they used the restroom. They got to pick out a toy from the toy locker and both of them got a ball and bat. Most of the stuff was girly so that was really the only choice. They both held up great, until.......................they wanted them to change shirts. There was no way in this world they were going to put on those gowns. Brian and I begged and pleaded with them for about 10 minutes until the anesthesiologist and nurse said just forget it. They decided that once they got them to sleep they would take their shirts off. Brian and I were stoked because we knew we weren't going to win from the get go. Sadly, Austin was already freaked out about the whole shirt thing and he was the first to go. I had picked him up because he was petrified and then they decided they were ready for him. They had to peel him off of me finger by finger screaming crying. Of coarse, I was crying because he was so upset. I would have been okay if he hadn't freaked out like that. Kaleb proceeded to get mad at Brian and I for letting them take Austin away and letting us know that he wasn't going. I HAD to get it together extremely fast! I didn't want Kaleb to think there was anything to be scared of. I'm seriously a lot tougher than I thought I could ever be(at least on the outside).

Brian got Kaleb calmed down and actually pumped for the surgery. The three of us played with the ball and bat for about 10 minutes then the anesthesiologist came out to talk to us. The first thing he asked was did Austin have underwear on? I had no idea. Brian got them dressed so I looked at him. Brian looked at me and said "they didn't want to put it on so I didn't make them". The anesthesiologist laughed because Austin was going commando and asked Kaleb if he had underwear on. Kaleb looked at him like he was crazy and said "well no". Brian and I got a big kick out of that. The doctor came out and said he was ready for Kaleb. Kaleb walked back like the biggest boy you have ever seen!

We also found out that Austin was doing great. It only took him 3 huge breathes to fall asleep because he was screaming crying. He inhaled a lot of gas on each breath so it didn't take much. The doctor also came out and talked to us and said he removed the adenoids and rinsed everything out(which took awhile) but he "had a clean start".

Kaleb walked back on his own like a big boy(I only shed a couple of tears because he's so big) and I couldn't have been prouder. He was a lot braver than I was but he'll never believe that. The nurses said he jumped right up on the operating table and said he would pop the balloon. We told him he was doing a breathing treatment and he did the best breathing he could. He started wheezing after he went to sleep so they actually did do a breathing treatment on him so I didn't really tell a story, right?

Here is Austin after surgery. Brian and I were able to be there which was great! Poor baby:( All he had to do was drink some juice, sprite, or eat a Popsicle and he could get his IV out. He was so upset about the IV that he wouldn't do anything except cry that the IV was in and try to yank it out. I held him for 30 minutes trying to calm him down but he wouldn't listen to me. The anesthesiologist finally said "give the kid some morphine". He was acting crazy! As soon as the morphine kicked in Austin was a totally different person. He started settling down then Kaleb arrived in post op.

I was still working with Austin so Brian went to Kaleb's room. As soon as Austin's nurse left the room to work on Kaleb, he decided he wanted a green Popsicle. We laid there and watched dragon tails until she came back(listening to Kaleb scream bloody murder the entire time). It was heartwreaching. We got the Popsicle and once she saw he ate it, she took the IV out and we were able to go see Kaleb. Poor baby. He just couldn't stop crying. Austin was happy by this point(all the morphine had kicked in) so I g0t to play with him. Kaleb still laid in bed with Brian and cried. He drank juice, ate 3 Popsicles, heck, Austin knew where the Popsicle stash was and raided it every minute and a half(I timed it). They ate so much! No matter what Kaleb ate, he still cried. After 30 minutes of him being in post op he was released. The nurse used a wheelchair and pushed the boys out to the truck. They thought they were really cool for not having to walk but Kaleb still whined.

Brian and I headed home thinking we would have a relaxing day and the kids would take a nap due to all the medicine and morphine. I'm not sure what we were thinking but the boys didn't take a nap nor did they get in bed early. UGH! Brian and I were exhausted!

No comments: