Monday, March 2, 2009

Skipping school

I'm so tired of the boys being sick. They feel terrible and Kaleb started running fever yesterday. He still had it this morning so I started calling the doctors office at 7:30. I got an appointment for 9:00 so we ate breakfast, got dressed, and then headed out the door.

Austin was checked out first and the doctor thought he was okay. She could see drainage in the back of his throat but his chest sounded good so she wasn’t concerned. Kaleb was next and he sounded terrible. She listened to his chest and decided to give him a breathing treatment. Kaleb had this done before so as soon as the nurse walked in with the machine he looked at her and said “oh no, not again”. She started telling him what she was going to do and he said “I know I do this all the time.” Were raising Mr. Cool!

After the breathing treatment, the doctor came back and talked to me for awhile. The kids have been on several antibiotics and nothing seems to help. She’s come to the conclusion that it’s allergies. I have terrible allergies, but have never been tested. She told me that I needed to get myself tested and that the kids and I probably have the same thing. I control mine with a daily zyrtec but that’s not working for the boys. She’s setting up an appointment for both of them to get tested for indoor allergies so we shall see.

We also got scripts to go to the hospital for x-rays because our pediatrician doesn’t have an x-ray machine at her office. We had to go thru admissions and everything! I was surprised at how much we had to do just for some x-rays. I really take it for granted that I can get them done at my doctors’ office. We got finished at the hospital around 11:15 then headed over to the McDonald’s in Germantown. It has an indoor playground and I had been telling the boys to sit and use their whisper voices for the past two hours so they had a lot of pinned up energy.
We played until about 12:30 then headed home. I was exhausted and so were the kids. They changed clothes then we laid in bed and watched Tom and Jerry for about 20 minutes before all three of us passed out! I couldn’t tell you the last time Kaleb and I took a nap. Austin usually falls asleep but never Kaleb. We didn’t get up until 4:00 and it was almost bedtime.

During our nap I missed a phone call from the doctor regarding the x-rays. She called back at 6:00 and told me that Kaleb was okay. She gave him an inhaler and some samples of Singular. Austin on the other hand had a lot of infection in his adenoids and needed another antibiotic. I’m kinda surprised, Kaleb sounds terrible and Austin really doesn’t. I’m supposed to hear back from her office within the next couple of days regarding the allergist appointment. She said that the allergies would x-ray the boys again to make sure Austin’s getting better and Kaleb hasn’t gotten worse. I’ll keep you posted on the outcome.

1 comment:

kristen said...

Gosh, what a day! I think that you can just have bad adenoids, like bad tonsils. So far with Julianna, it has made all the difference. Hopefully the same will be true for Chase.

We have also thought that Chase has had bad allergies since he was 6 mo old and in the hospital for croup. He continues to get croup and repeated sinus infections.He's been on Singulair for 3 yrs now. After seeing the ENT, we now know that his adenoids are enlarged, as well as his t onsils, and that is his problem. We sill had in tested for allergies, and NONE! I'm still shocked!

So, if nothing comes of the allergist appt, consider seeing and ENT, if you haven't already. I hope that they get well soon! And that nap sounded wonderful!