Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Allergist

So off we go for another doctors visit. I didn't tell the kids what was going on because frankly, I had no idea! We arrived and got to ride the elevator which the kids loved.
We were the only people in the entire office besides the workers so it was quite......I had two kids that brought a backpack full of toys that weren't suppose to make noise but because it was so quite, everything was loud! Then the nurse brings in a toy for them that made this loud clanking noise so I was done trying to keep the kids quiet.
The doctor came in and asked me a hundred questions over the loud noises and I have no idea what I said. Then they came in with a puncture skin test. They rubbed 5 of these on each of the boys backs and left the room for 15 minutes. The boys didn't really cry when the nurses did it. It was more of a scared whine because they didn't know what to expect. Here is what their backs looked like. The first is Austin's and the second Kaleb's.

It's hard to see in these pictures but on all 5 applications, the top left prick flared up on each of the kids back in every section. All I could see was dollar signs rolling through my head. It costs me $50 a child and I was freaking out they would need allergy shots or something. After I fanned the kids for 15 minutes (because they weren't allowed to scratch) the nurse came back and checked out the whelps. The ones that were inflamed were controlled tests to see if the body had any antihistamines that would give an incorrect reading on the tests. They were suppose to flair if you weren’t using any antihistamines so we passed the test. Man was that a relief! I wish she would have told me that prior to giving it to them, but I’m sure they do this to make sure people are giving correct information prior to testing. So that’s it. We have no allergies!

Now we get to go to an ENT. According to the allergist, Kaleb’s adenoids are very large and making it hard for him to breath. He always breathes out of his mouth and has the driest lips you’ve ever seen. His breathing passages are so small in his nose that infection doesn’t have anywhere to go so it just sits there all the time. Austin does not have large adenoids but she suggested that if the infection that he has now does not go away with his prescription that he should also go, just in case. Hey, what’s another $50 a kid! So now we wait for another referral. I was a little bummed about not finding anything and wasting the money but then again, now I know. One less thing to worry about.

After the doctor we decided to head to the zoo. We only stayed an hour and half but it was nice to get outside.

1 comment:

kristen said...

Your story sounds just like ours! What ENT are you going to? We see Dr. Klug and LOVE him!! I say go ahead and get them both checked out while you are there. I've learned that is much easier. We just went ahead and had Chase checked out at the ENT while we were there with Julianna and found out (through an xray of his sinuses) that he had a sinus infection (we couldn't even tell that he was sick), had really swollen adenoids and really big tonsils. If I hadn't had him checked out, we would have undoubtedly been back there soon with him too.

And I felt the same way as you about the allergist, about it being a waste of money. I took both of my kids too. Chase had no allergies and they wouldn't test Julianna b/c of her age I guess. But at least now you know that whatever is causing them to be sick isn't coming from allergies. I have been treating Chase for allergies for 3 yrs now for no reason! Ahh!