Friday, June 12, 2009

Hurricane Season Part 2(Brian)

I feel like I'm on an episode of 24 right now. While I think my world is falling apart, my husbands is even worse.

While sitting at the light at 64, I knew I had a voicemail. Since my phone wasn't working, I couldn't find out who it was or what was going on. Once I made it to Brian's parents, they told me Brian was looking for me and City Auto's roof was gone. I really couldn't deal with it at that moment, so Keith(Brian's dad) called Brian to tell him where I was and that the kids and I were safe. I was in my own world for about 10 minutes. Sitting in front of the TV but not hearing a word that was being said. I had a 1000 questions running thru my head.
Does Brian still have a job, how long will City be closed, how are we going to make it if it doesn't reopen. The list goes on and on. I was numb.
Brian finally called back and I got to speak to him. He told me that when the wind started picking up, a small piece of the tin roof started to lift. With every gust of wind, more and more of the tin would go. He was in his office with April(his assistant) and he told her to get under her desk. She did, and started screaming. Brian got under his desk and moments later, it sounded like a freight train. The entire tin roof came off and went flying across the parking lot. Brian had no idea what had happened, but was getting wet from all the water that was coming in. He has the pull down attic in his office so he climbed on top of his desk to check it out. He pulled it open and it was gray skies and huge rain drops smacking him in the face.
It damaged about 60 cars and left tin hanging from huge power lines. Within 30 minutes about 25 men were at City putting plywood down and cleaning the inside of the building. They opened for business the next day with only Brian's computer and still sold 15 cars.

Life is such a roller coaster....................

1 comment:

kristen said...

Jeez, that is crazy!! I'm so glad that you all made it out of the storm safely! It was scary, wasn't it?