Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I can smell

I took Kaleb to the ENT today for the first of his four followup visits after surgery. Needless to say, he was amazing! He's faithfully putting saline in his nose every hour so he doesn't have to do surgery again. Apparently, he's squeezing harder on the left side than the right because the left side is completely dissolved. The right, not so much. Since he's right handed, it's very common for this to happen so now were really gonna focus on flushing the right side out. Kaleb let Dr. Naidu(which I love) stick a long rod up his nose and the thing that sucks spit out of your mouth from the dentist but this one sucked snot from your nose which was so cool! He sat there better than I could have done. He seriously didn't move an inch. About 15 minutes into it Kaleb said ummmmmmm. Dr. Naidu asked if he was hurting him and Kaleb started laughing and told him no but I would like for you to be done. All three of us laughed but Dr. Naidu and I couldn't believe how amazing Kaleb was.

Dr. Naidu cleaned all the biodegradable gauze out of his nasal passages then pulled some of the dried blood out. He didn't want to pull too much of it out because Kaleb's nose would start bleeding if he did. The dried blood is keeping the nosebleeds from happening so we need as much as possible. The saline has been reduce to 4 times a day instead of every hour which will gradually wash all the dried blood away.

After Dr. Naidu finished with Kaleb I had several questions that needed to be answered. During the middle of my trampoline question, Kaleb looked at Dr. Naidu with the biggest grin on his face and surprise in his eyes. He started yelling Dr. Naidu, Dr. Naidu....I can smell. It brought tears to my eyes. My poor baby has missed so much.

After we left the office we headed to McDonald's for lunch. The first thing Kaleb did was open and smell his chicken mcnuggets and let out an ahhhhh. He's missed out on so much and he's only 6. I can't imagine never being able to smell. Can you? I've truly learned from him to NEVER take anything for granted. Everything's one day at a time.

1 comment:

kristen said...

Glad he's doing so well!! I don't think that Chase could smell before he had his tonsils and adenoids out. After his surgery he started saying "What's that smell?" ALL the time! He wasn't even 3 yet, so it's hard to know for sure. But not smelling for 6 years is crazy!